“No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means. ”
Why ideal weight is good for you
You are likely to live longer, with less time being impacted by health issues. It becomes easier to enjoy life and indulge in activities that bring you joy!
More specifically maintaining an ideal weight can lead to proven medical benefits.
If you are overweight reducing your weight is likely to lead to:
- Improved mobility
- Improved blood sugar levels and decreased risk of diabetes
- Lowered blood pressure
- Improved cholesterol levels
- Decreased risk of heart disease
- Lowered risk of certain cancers
- Reduced joint pain
- Decreased risk of stroke
- Reduced back pain
- Decreased risk, or improvement in symptoms, of osteoarthritis
- Decreased risk, or improvement in symptoms, of sleep apnoea
If you are underweight increasing your weight is likely to lead to:
- Improved energy through decreased risk of malnutrition, vitamin deficiencies, or anaemia
- Decreased risk of osteoporosis
- Improved immune function
Enjoying what you eat and drink
If you choose well what you eat and drink you should be able to enjoy it just as much even if you are trying to gain, lose or maintain weight.
Find an ideal weight
In the UK, we have a rule-of-thumb to find the ideal weight range which is called Body Mass Index (BMI). This is a very rough guide and whilst it works well for most people the boundaries are quite broad and it doesn’t work the same for all body types.
Remember that an ideal BMI for one ethnicity may not be right for another.
This video www.acticheck.com/bmivideo gives a good overview of why BMI can be a misleading measure.
We suggest that you search online for an ‘ideal weight calculator’ and explore what the various formulae suggest.
Pick a target weight, and if you are already there that is great, just make sure to weigh yourself regularly and check that you are not drifting from your target.
(to be continued)
If you have a critical issue bothering you, click here for some information about what you can do now.
How to get the latest Health Active Ageing
If you are looking for some regular handy tips to help keep you shipshape, you have some choices:
- The simplest is to fill in your details below and click on the ‘Get Healthy Active Ageing’ button
- Bookmark our blogs and visit is regularly, you will be able to navigate through all our posts
- Follow us on Facebook