“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”
~ Oscar Wilde
As with all aspects of this guide bear in mind it is general guidance. If you are aware of an intolerance or allergy, or have taken professional dietary advice that has priority over any of the following.
Cooking and eating should be a pleasure and not a chore. Consider exploring some of the wide variety of food on offer in supermarkets, local shops and markets, or even from an allotment. The Web is full of recipes you can try.
Balance is everything
- Eat a wide range of foods to ensure that you’re getting a balanced diet and that your body is receiving all the nutrients it needs.
- Base your meals on rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and cereals. Try to keep it unprocessed by choosing wholegrain varieties and don’t peel your potatoes.
- Have lots of fruit and veg, drink smoothies, augment cereals or porridge with a chopped banana, swap a treat for a piece of fruit.
Here’s a trick to try which might help you to be tempted by some of the things which are better for you.
- Sit comfortably.
- Close your eyes and imagine your favourite snack just in front of you, easily within reach and think which hand you would naturally pick it up with. Just consider how you see it, anticipate the taste and sensation it will give you.
- Now in your other hand picture an item of fruit which you know you should eat but don’t really like. Consider how you see that and how it doesn’t inspire you to want to eat it.
- Physically move the hand that you are holding the fruit in around your back and pass your (imaginary) fruit into your other hand.
- Put the imaginary fruit down in place of the treat and pick up the treat and take it around your back and place it in the other hand to put it down where the fruit was in the first place.
- You might now find that you begin to see the fruit in a new way and it starts to give you the sensations you used to have about the treat. Your treat might become as anodyne as the fruit was to you before.
If you have a critical issue bothering you, click here for some information about what you can do now.
How to get the latest Health Active Ageing
If you are looking for some regular handy tips to help keep you shipshape, you have some choices:
- The simplest is to fill in your details below and click on the ‘Get Healthy Active Ageing’ button
- Bookmark our blogs and visit is regularly, you will be able to navigate through all our posts
- Follow us on Facebook